Futuremark Releases PCMark®05
June 28, 2005
Futuremark Releases PCMark®05
Third Generation PC Gauge Defines the New Performance Standard
Saratoga, California USA June 28, 2005 With today's launch of PCMark05, Futuremark furthers its leading position as the benchmark software provider of choice for the PC industry, IT managers, IT media and consumers. PCMark05 is a totally new product and features the most advanced workloads, including HD video transcoding, digital music encoding, advanced threading and trace-based hard disk performance tests.
PCMark05 enables truly objective performance comparisons between the latest PC platforms and architectures and supports all the latest technologies. PCMark05 features tests with advanced threading which enable accurate benchmarking of the latest PCs with multi-core and hyper-threaded CPUs.
As with all Futuremark products, PCMark05 was produced in close cooperation with Futuremark's Benchmark Development Program (BDP). Companies participating in PCMark BDP during PCMark05 development were: AMD, Dell, Intel, Microsoft and NVIDIA.
PCMark05 supports the complete benchmark cycle starting from benchmarking a PC, viewing the resulting benchmark details, comparing the results to those of others and finally providing means for analyzing how to improve the PC's performance. PCMark05 produces highly reliable and detailed benchmarking results with a simple, intuitive user interface. An integrated Online ResultBrowser allows instant results comparison against more than 12 million benchmark results in Futuremark's ever increasing performance database.
PCMark05 features tools for both system and component level benchmarking. System level benchmarking produces a measure of the PC's overall performance. It is a single number that is easily comparable to that of other PCs. However, advanced users and professional testers may want to further explore the performance of individual components such as the CPU, the memory, the graphics subsystem, and the hard disk. Component level benchmarking helps them to isolate the performance of individual components, exposing their strengths and weaknesses. PCMark05 even includes the ability to create custom benchmarks by putting together tests tailored to specific needs.
Key User Benefits of PCMark05:
- Easy to Use: Easy to use for both novice users, benchmarking professionals, industry vendors and press labs;
- Complete Benchmarking Cycle: Benchmark a PC, view the resulting benchmark details, compare the results to those of others, and finally analyze how to improve the PC's performance;
- System and Component Performance: Expose both overall system performance as well as isolate performance of individual PC components;
- Integrated Online ResultBrowser: Instantly compare results to the world's largest database of performance data with global validation.
- System Test Suite: Extensive collection of application-based tests that are relevant in typical home use of a PC; tasks include hard disk drive access, video encoding, audio compression, 2D user interface tasks, 2D graphics memory access, web page rendering, file decryption and encryption, memory access and text editing.
- CPU Test Suite: Includes tests that isolate the performance of the CPU; tasks include file compression and decompression, file encryption and decryption, audio compression and decompression and image decompression;
- Memory Performance Testing: Tests measure the performance of the memory subsystem; these tasks include reading, writing and copying access to data blocks in the L1 cache, L2 cache, and main memory as well as latency tests;
- Graphics Test Suite: Tests measure both 2D and 3D graphics performance of the PC. 2D tasks measure moving and transparent 2D dialog performance, graphics memory performance and video playback performance. 3D tasks exercise pixel shader, vertex shader, fill rate and polygon throughput capabilities for the graphics subsystem;
- Hard Disk Drive Test Suite: Uses disk activity traces from real-life tasks; these tests isolate the performance of the hard disk drive. Disk activities measured include Windows® XP startup, application loading, file writing, virus scanning and general disk usage.
PCMark05 is immediately available in three versions. For private home usage there are two versions: PCMark05 Basic, a freeware version with limited functionality and PCMark05 Advanced ($19.95) with extended functionality. For professional and business usage, PCMark05 Professional ($199.95) provides full functionality and additional features enabling test automation. The software are available from http://www.futuremark.com/products/pcmark05/.
Note to Editors
For your free evaluation copy of PCMark05, please email mailto:email@example.com?subject=PCMark05Eval and tell us the publication that you represent.
About Futuremark® Corporation
Futuremark® Corporation is the leading provider of performance analysis software and services for PCs and smartphones. Futuremark® is known around the world for its benchmark products, including the 3DMark® and PCMark® Series and SPMark (with more than 30 million copies distributed worldwide) and value-added services powered by a database of over 12 million real life benchmarking results. Futuremark® maintains offices in Saratoga, California and Helsinki, Finland. For more information, please visit http://www.futuremark.com.
© 2005 Futuremark® Corporation. 3DMark®, PCMark® and SPMark trademarks and logos, Futuremark® character names and distinctive likenesses, are the exclusive property of Futuremark Corporation. All other trademarks are property of their respective companies.
Mr. Tero Sarkkinen
Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing
3DMark is now available in Traditional Chinese
January 21, 2020
Announcing end of support for 3DMark 11, PCMark 7, Powermark, 3DMark Cloud Gate, and 3DMark Ice Storm
December 19, 2019
Test SSD performance with new PCMark 10 Storage Benchmarks
December 11, 2019
New ways to test Variable-Rate Shading with 3DMark
December 5, 2019
Test Variable-Rate Shading with 3DMark
August 26, 2019
Variable-Rate Shading test coming to 3DMark
July 18, 2019
Test PCIe 4.0 bandwidth with 3DMark
June 25, 2019
New PCIe 4.0 test coming to 3DMark
June 11, 2019
PCMark 10 introduces a better way to test battery life
May 27, 2019
Now you can test PC performance with Microsoft Office apps in PCMark 10
May 27, 2019
New drivers enable ray tracing on NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics cards
April 11, 2019
Google Stadia tech demo: cloud-based multi-GPU rendering
March 19, 2019
3DMark is now available on China’s largest games portal
March 11, 2019
UL contributes ray tracing expertise to new book
March 7, 2019
Two new benchmarks coming to PCMark 10
February 25, 2019