BAPCo Debuts SYSmark 2001
April 18, 2001
First Benchmarking Software to Measure Performance of Realistic Business Usage Model on Windows® Operating Systems
Santa Clara, California – April 18th, 2001 – The Business Applications Performance Corporation (BAPCo®), a non-profit consortium of leading computer industry publications, independent testing labs, PC hardware manufacturers, semiconductor manufacturers and software publishers announces the release of SYSmark® 2001. SYSmark 2001 will extend BAPCo’s leadership in industry standard benchmarks by providing an application-based benchmark that accurately reflects usage patterns for business users in the areas of Internet Content Creation and Office Productivity. SYSmark 2001 will support Microsoft® Windows® operating systems: Windows® 98 SE, Windows® 2000 and Windows® Millennium Edition. SYSmark 2001 is the third product being introduced under the successful strategic alliance between BAPCo and MadOnion.com. MadOnion.com, a leading provider of web services and e-commerce solutions, will provide marketing support and distribution for SYSmark 2001.
SYSmark 2001 can be used by:
- PC OEM's, hardware and software developers, IT departments, system integrators, publications, testing labs, Fortune 500 companies, online publications, and end-users interested in measuring and/or comparing PC performance based on real applications.
- Information technologists and others to accurately forecast present and future desktop computing needs.
Key SYSmark 2001 features include the following:
- SYSmark2001 is organized as scenarios, which are designed to reflect snapshots of “a day in the life” of an Internet content creator and office productivity applications user.
- A robust set of 14 application benchmarks covering a wide range of Internet Content Creation and Office Productivity application categories. The applications emulate usage patterns of today’s desktop business user that includes concurrent execution of applications.
- New applications have been added covering the areas of e-mail, file compression, virus protection, web authoring and web animation.
- Internet Features: Tests performance of a PC executing a wide range of popular operations using leading Internet Content Creation applications.
- Average response time metric: Response time of applications to user interaction is used as a performance metric rather than end-to-end run time. Users care most about the response time of the application to input.
- Concurrency performance: BAPCo has extended its state-of-the-art benchmarking technologies by devising methods (first introduced with WebMark 2001) for accurate and realistic measurement of concurrent tasks. SYSmark 2001 uses scenarios where background applications that detect viruses, compress files, encode video and convert speech to text run concurrently with other business applications.
- Realistic execution speed: The benchmark runs at realistic execution speed, with visible pauses between application interactions, in order to accurately emulate a desktop user’s interaction with the operating system and applications. Operating system behavior is more realistic when application interaction has realistic user pauses as the OS can devote this time to book keeping activities (memory management, scheduling, etc.).
- Standardized testing through an automated, point-and-click Benchmark Manager with reporting guidelines to ensure reliable, repeatable results.
- Multiple OS Support: Supports Windows® 98 SE, Windows® 2000 and Windows® Millennium Edition.
- Non-US English OS Support: Supports European Windows operating systems (Dutch, French, Finnish, German, Italian, and Spanish), Japanese and Chinese .
- Ability to collect and store performance data for user-specified projects; ability to compare user results with a wide range of vendor and testing lab results available publicly on BAPCo’s web site at www.bapco.com.
- Automated generation of BAPCo’s Full Disclosure Report (FDR) for ensuring consistent reporting of results.
- Comprehensive system performance testing: Benchmark workload content carefully developed to reflect accurate and realistic usage patterns covering a wide range of functionality within each application.
- Extensive validation across multiple hardware and software configurations to ensure consistent and reliable performance measurement results.
SYSmark 2001 incorporates the following Internet Content Creation and Office Productivity applications:
INTERNET CONTENT CREATION
Adobe Photoshop® 6.0, Adobe Premiere® 6.0, Microsoft Windows Media Encoder 7, Macromedia Dreamweaver 4, and Macromedia Flash 5.
Microsoft Word 2000, Microsoft Excel 2000, Microsoft PowerPoint 2000, Microsoft Outlook 2000, Microsoft Access 2000, Netscape Communicator® 6.0, Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred v.5, WinZip 8.0, and McAfee VirusScan 5.13.
SYSmark 2001 is available for $199,95 USD. Please visit the SYSmark 2000 order link (Powered by MadOnion.com) to order SYSmark 2001. The benchmark was developed and is fully supported by the current BAPCo membership. For a list of members please visit www.bapco.com
About the Business Applications Performance Corporation (BAPCo)
BAPCo stands for Business Applications Performance Corporation and its current members include Adaptec, Amdahl Corporation, CNET, Compaq, Dell, Federal Computer Week, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, InfoWorld, Intel, Microsoft, NEC, VNU Business Publications Limited (UK), and ZDNet. BAPCo is a non-profit consortium with a charter to develop and distribute a set of objective performance benchmarks for personal computers based on popular software applications and operating systems.
MadOnion is a leading provider of PC benchmark software and performance information services. Powered by an Internet-based engine, MadOnion is known around the world for its benchmark products including, the 3DMark Series and Video2000, as well as the BAPCo/MadOnion products WebMark2001 and the SYSmark Series. MadOnion has offices in Helsinki and San Jose. For more information, please visit www.madonion.com.
BAPCo, and SYSmark are registered trademarks of The Business Applications Performance Corporation. MadOnion.com™ is the trademark of MadOnion.com formerly Futuremark Corporation, Ltd. All other names mentioned are trademarks, or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
For more information, refer to www.bapco.com or www.MadOnion.com or contact:
Vice President, Marketing
Benchmark PC performance with Microsoft Office apps
October 4, 2021
UL benchmarks are ready for Windows 11
September 29, 2021
3DMark update adds new Steam achievements, trading cards, and more!
September 27, 2021
Reduce the risk of data loss with Testdriver Storage Health Test
August 26, 2021
Experience DirectX 12 Ultimate with 3DMark
August 25, 2021
New CPU benchmarks for gamers and overclockers
June 24, 2021
New security and reporting features in Testdriver Cloud Edition
May 25, 2021
PCMark for Android adds new Work 3.0 benchmark with 64-bit support
May 12, 2021
New 3DMark benchmark for Windows, macOS, iOS and Android
May 3, 2021
New 3DMark test measures mesh shader performance
February 11, 2021
Announcing end of support for PCMark 8, 3DMark Sky Diver, and VRMark for Android benchmarks
December 16, 2020
Easy PC health monitoring for IT professionals
December 3, 2020
New benchmarks from UL help content creators choose a PC
November 30, 2020
Enhancing 3DMark benchmark results with game performance data
November 25, 2020
New 3DMark test measures pure ray-tracing performance
November 2, 2020